Welcome to the eighteenth installment of Link Loves. These posts are all about my favorite links of the week! It can include bloggers, articles, news, clothing, accessories, and other cool links I’m enjoying. If you have a favorite blogger or article, share them with me in the comments!
Welcome to the fifteenth installment of Link Loves. These posts are all about my favorite links of the week! It can include bloggers, articles, news, clothing, accessories, and other cool links I’m enjoying. If you have a favorite blogger or article, share them with me in the comments!
If you’re participating in The Nerdy Girlie’s 5 Fandom Friday, you may have noticed a few of us have made some DLC’s (downloadable content) to complement the already lengthy blog prompt list courtesy of The Nerdy Girlie and Super Space Chick. You can check out my first DLC for 5 Fandom Friday: the GG Pack (the Geeky Gal Pack)!
This list was pretty easy to come up as usually my favorite characters are the ones I identify with. Now obviously none of these characters totally embody my personality or even who I am as a person, but they do possess several traits that I find we have in common.
Hori-san is half of Horimiya, a sweet romance manga about two classmates that discover the other’s secret and develop a unique friendship. Much like Hori-san, I too am an over achiever and a hard worker. She can also be abrasive, especially when it comes to her feelings. My husband jokingly refers to me as a Tsundere which I think fits Hori-san when she’s outside of school.
Another over achiever, Hermione is also steadfastly loyal and loves to read. Her greatest fears are probably failure and letting people down, much like my own. Hermione quickly became my favorite Harry Potter character with her quick wit (that I lack sometimes) and her will to make changes for those who couldn’t do for themselves like the house elves.
I bet you just went back in time when you read that name. Kagome is the leading female protagonist on InuYasha who has spiritual powers and kick-ass archery skills. While many viewers found her annoying and a bit of a damsel in distress in the beginning, Kagome is very determined, bold and kind. I took up archery because of her. I watched her grow into a strong and powerful priestess with a heart of gold. Like Kagome, I take pride in being myself, “unattractive” traits and all.
Ten is not just one of my favorite Doctors; he’s also the one I identify with the most. Behind a positive and joyful demeanor is someone who carries a lot of guilt and anger. During conflict, he can be fiercely protective and without mercy. While I’m working on some of my own issues with guilt and anger, I still very much try to be positive and learn from the past.
While coming across as strong and fierce later in SAO, Asuna had some mental health issues that led her to falling in love with Kirito who helped her straighten herself out. When SAO became in-real-life dangerous, she didn’t care much whether or not she died. Kirito became her lifeline and she took his words to heart, much like I do with my husband. She’s not afraid to take matters into her own hands and is very independent, like me.
What characters do you identify with? Do you find yourself looking to protagonists, antagonists, or the support characters? Tell me in the comments!
I saw this tag over at Cateaclysmic and thought it sounded fun! If you want to participate, I highly encourage you to do so! Just leave me a comment with a link to your post and I’ll check out your answers too. Are you ready for mine? Here we go!
What is your must-have tech gadget? Definitely my Fitbit. It’s been helping me reach my fitness goals and keeping me in check. I was super lucky and got it as a gift from my lovely husband at Christmas. Highly recommend!
Which house do you belong to in Hogwarts? Ravenclaw!
Who is your favorite Doctor? Ten of course, though Nine holds a very special place in my heart.
If you could have dinner with any fictional character, who would it be? Teal’c from Stargate SG-1. I tell my husband every episode how much I love his facial expressions (or lack thereof). And he’s undeniably funny without meaning to be!
What is your gaming system of choice? I discussed in this post about how the PlayStation 4 is my favorite gaming system.
If you had a super power, what would it be? The ability to bend time and space like Hiro from Heroes. “Fine. Stay here. Be just like everyone else. I wanna boldly go where no man has gone before.”
What is your favorite fantasy world? Harry Potter. Hands down. I love the books so much and love to get lost in the world JK Rowling made for her characters.
If you could be any fictional race, what would you be? I would love to be an elf. I always gravitate towards that race for any video or board game.
Star Trek or Star Wars? That’s a hard one. Don’t make me choose! How about both plus Stargate?
List your top 5 geektastic movies or TV Series. (in no particular order…)
- Doctor Who
List your top 5 favorite video games. (in no particular order…)
- Kingdom Hearts series
- God of War series
- Animal Crossing
- Fatal Frame II
I tag every one of you reading this! Either link back to me or post a comment with your post so I can like and comment on it. Spread the geeky love!
After a brief break from blogging, I’m back with more content! Last week I shared one of my favorite blog series posts called Link Loves where I share posts, articles, and products that I like. I also posted about how to buy your first cosplay, 5 of the geekiest things I have ever done, and stay-cation essentials for introverts! Little did I know that Trinity from Triform Trinity was keeping an eye on me and nominated me for the Sunshine Blogger Award! Thanks Trinity! Check out some of his amazing game reviews like this one on FF XIV Stormblood and this one on Severed!
Sunshine Blogger Award Preview:
The Sunshine Blogger award is a peer recognition for bloggers that inspire positivity, joy, warmth and any other emotions that you feel when you think about the sun. I’m taking a different approach and I will nominate some bloggers that are new followers and write amazing posts!
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger asked you.
- Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post and/or on your blog.
If you had the chance to write one article that could change a person’s life, what would you write about given your previous content? I would write a post about how video games have made me who I am. I touched on it in this post about fandoms but I’d love to do a much more detailed one like Normal Happenings is doing on his blog. You hear about books that changed a person’s life, but what about a game? Maybe my post could open another mind or a heart or just make someone think.
One day you see a portal to another world. Where does it take you? If I’m lucky, it’ll dump me into the world of Harry Potter and give me magical abilities so I can finally attend Hogwarts at 25 years old.
What type of music is your home? The type that you can always fall back on to fully relax and is the one that interests you the most. I would have to say alternative. There is nothing like blasting Fiona Apple’s Criminal or Nirvana’s Heart Shaped Box in the car. I feel the most myself when I have alt rock playing.
You are making a game; what genre are going with and why? My first game would most likely be a visual novel. I love to write and the idea of multiple story lines with choices excites me.
Breathing in space or breathing under water: which one do you choose? Breathing under water. I love to swim and being able to breathe under water means I can stay under for as long as I want. And you know, mermaids.
Favorite mascot? Hufflepuff may not be my house but I love that their mascot is a badger.
What is your morning routine before going to work/school/etc.? I’m usually up at 4 am to make it to work by 5:30. I’m a girl so I usually have to pick out some clothes, tame my hair and throw on some mascara and eye shadow. I brush my teeth then make my breakfast and lunch for the office. I throw on some Converse, and I’m out the door.
Tell me a story of when you encountered your first video game. If you’re interested in reading about my first game, you can check out my post on it here which was a part of my 30 Day Video Game Challenge.
What is your element? Earth.
Why is this your element? If you follow astrology, Earth would be my element, but I picked it for other reasons. Earth is grounded and strong.
Running or walking to your destination? I enjoy walking over running but I have taken up the Couch to 5K program! You can watch my progress on Instagram.
- What was your first fandom? (Or what was the first thing you obsessed over?)
- Who is your favorite fictional character?
- What is something you love about your favorite fandom?
- What is something you hate about your favorite fandom?
- Are you a fan of something that doesn’t seem to be that popular?
- What do you watch/read/play the most?
- What fictional place/house would you love to live in?
- Where would you take a fictional dream vacation?
- What character has a wardrobe you’d love to have?
- What Hogwarts house does you pet belong in?
- Tell me about your favorite day in your life so far.
Matt @ Normal Happenings
Tasmin @ The Aspiring Kryptonian
Mariah @ Bizarre Brunette
David @ Science vs Hollywood
Jennifer @ Nerdy Vegas Chic
Sally-Ann @ Geeky Hippie
Jacob @ AwksNerd
Mija @ Mija’s Malice
Sarah @ Girly Geekdom
Cody @ Gameocracy
Salome & Bari @ Maeberry Cosplay
Please leave me a comment with your post so I can read your answers! Also, if I didn’t tag you, please feel free to do it anyway and leave a comment here with your post! Can’t wait to see everyone’s answers!
So you want to buy a cosplay online and have no idea where or how to start? I’ll break it down for you and even discuss my own experience with buying cosplay online. If this is your first cosplay, start here!
Unfortunately, I don’t know how to sew (as may be your case as well). My first ever cosplay was in September of 2015. I agonized over this costume. I wanted to make it myself and had saved tons of tutorials to my computer. I was determined I was going to make my cosplay… Until I realized I didn’t have a sewing machine and literally had no experience with one. That’s okay though. I’ve since bought my cosplay and plan on revisiting it later when I’m more skilled and knowledgeable to handcraft it like I had originally planned (maybe).
Before you consider buying your cosplay online:
- Press Start. Ask your fellow cosplayers! Ask your friends and family! Where do they buy their cosplays? Are there sites or sellers or commissioners they would recommend? Do they have cosplays for sell? Would they mind helping you make your cosplay? Start in your immediate circle before branching out. You’d be surprised that you may not even have to buy your cosplay from a website!
- Research. Take this time to Google what you can. Write down site names, look for reviews on these sites (youtube and the reviews on the sites themselves are good places to start), and cross off the poorly reviewed ones. There’s also groups on Facebook that have cosplays and wigs for sale, offer commissions, etc. Check out the blacklist in these groups too; if they don’t seem to have one, message a moderator and ask for the list. Those are the people you shouldn’t do business with. If you choose to go the Facebook route, pay with PayPal using Goods & Services. The seller will pay the fees and if anything goes wrong, you can file to get your money back with PayPal.
- Check out commissions. If you know someone, or even someone who knows someone, who has a portfolio to show off their sewing and crafting skills, it wouldn’t hurt to get your cosplay priced out by them. Keep in mind that you’ll most likely be paying for materials and labor, not just materials! You’re paying for high quality work here too. This cosplay should last and last (with the right seamstress).
When you buy your cosplay online:
- Look for your costume specifically. What I mean is: look up the costume by your character’s name and the name of the show. You’ll get better, filtered results this way. No one wants to dig through hundreds of pages for a Sailor Moon costume with things like “crescent moon necklaces” and “lunar eclipse sunglasses” popping up alongside the actual costumes.
- Look at the reviews for your costume. Say you’re on AliExpress. The store you’re shopping with has high reviews and lots of favorites! Sounds like it’s pretty reputable. Now, when you get to your costume, look at its reviews. These are separate from the stores reviews and favorites. Sometimes they’ll even have pictures with reviews which I love and count on the most. This helps you know what you’re really getting!
- Compare prices. Now it’s time to really utilize those browser tabs! Find your cosplay on several pages and compare the prices! Lower is not always better but it’d good to know the average price for the cosplay itself.
- Get out the tape measure. You’ll need to measure yourself for the best fit. Most likely your cosplay will be in standard Chinese sizes which differ from what you’re used to! So get out that fashion tape measure that you bought years ago and take your measurements: neck, chest/bust, waist, hips, arm, inseam. See this link here for how to measure yourself!
- Compare your measurements to the provided sizes. Click on the sizing chart. Most cosplays should have a sizing chart available. If not, contact the seller for one. Now most people will be between sizes. My personal rule of thumb is to buy the size that accommodates my largest measurement which is my hips. I can get the rest of the cosplay tailored if needed. The flipside is to think about how the cosplay should fit you: Should it drape and flow? Should it be tight and form fitting? Using your measurements, choose the best size for you. Another option is to see or ask the seller if they offer custom sizing, then you can give your measurements to the seller. Always add a little wiggle room in your measurements if going with a custom option!
- Email the seller any questions. Ask them about sizing, fabrics, shipping, when you would receive it, or anything you need to know before you place your order. This is a great opportunity to feel out the seller and make sure you’re getting what you pay for!
- Order the closest size to your measurements. After double checking your measurements and asking the seller all of your questions, it’s time to place your order!
After your cosplay arrives:
- Carefully inspect the cosplay and all the accessories. First insure that you have received the full cosplay you ordered. Check that all pieces are accounted for. Next, check for loose threads, glue, missing buttons, stains or anything that is not right. Take photos of any damage for reference. Unfortunately, things happen, and if your cosplay is damaged or missing pieces, it’s time to email the seller. If everything is right…
- It’s time to try it on. Hopefully those measurements were right and your new cosplay fits like a glove… or however it’s supposed to! Take pictures of the front, sides, and back to make sure it all fits right. If it’s uncomfortably loose in some areas, it’s time to take it to the tailor. If it’s too tight, double check the measurements and politely contact the seller.
- Test it with your wig, shoes and make up. Once your cosplay is the right fit, it’s time to put it all together before the con. Make last minute adjustments and buy any necessary accessories.
- Leave an honest review. Just do it! Now everyone else can find a great cosplay and reliable seller like you.
Places to buy your cosplay from:
- Facebook Groups – Before doing a search for your cosplay and size, take a look at all the files and documents for the group. This should include a blacklist. Stay away from anyone on that list! They are a no-go for purchasing your cosplay. Ask for pictures of the cosplay and up close pictures of damage. Always use PayPal’s goods and services when purchasing from individuals. They will get charged a small fee, but PayPal protects you if something goes wrong. If a seller asks you to pay through PayPal’s friends and family, it might be a scam!
- Etsy – Choose a shop with tons of reviews and read them all: the good and the bad. Take into account the complaint and how the seller handled the situation. Look at their listings and note the quality of their skills. If you’re still unsure, send them a polite message about the cosplay they have listed.
- Ebay – Be wary if you decide to go the Ebay route. See if anyone has purchased the cosplay before and see if they wrote a review. Read all the rates and feedback on the seller before making a purchase and don’t be afraid to ask for more pictures or precise measurements! Many times stock photos will be used over and over again so check that if the seller is using a stock photo that their own logo is on it.
- AliExpress – This site should come with a big, fat warning sticker. Be aware that everything ships from China and could takes months to arrive. Research any shops you’re considering buying from. Read all the reviews on the shop then all the reviews on the cosplay. Try to find reviews with pictures. Research the hell out of this one before making a purchase.
- Other sites: EZCosplay, CosplayMagic, Uwowo, CosplaySky, Hello Cosplay, Amazon, HotTopic
- Don’t let anyone make you feel bad for not making your cosplay.
- Make sure your cosplay is comfortable for sitting, standing, and walking.
- Do your research on any and every seller and website.
- When leaving a review, add photos.
- Iron your costume (if possible) before the con. Shipping adds folds to the garment and a quick ironing will take them out!
- Now get out there and cosplay!
Got any tips for buying a cosplay online? Share them in the comments!
I have successfully completed my 30 Day Video Game Challenge! Over the 30 days while I was keeping up with the daily posts, I was nominated for not one, not two, but FOUR awards! (And I just got nominated for another!) I’ll be sprinkling in these award posts over the month of March. This third award is courtesy of The Gaming Diaries! Thank you for the nomination Gaming Diaries! They have tons of great gaming reviews and other awesome content that you should check out on their blog!
Mystery Blogger Award Preview:
According to the creator, Okoto, “Mystery Blogger Award” is an award for amazing bloggers with ingenious posts. Their blog not only captivates; it inspires and motivates. They are one of the best out there, and they deserve every recognition they get. This award is also for bloggers who find fun and inspiration in blogging, and they do it with so much love and passion.
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
- Display the award logo on your blog.
- Mention the creator of the award and provide a link as well.
- List the rules.
- Tell your readers three things about yourself.
- Answer five questions from the nominator.
- Ask your nominees any five questions of your choice, including one weird or funny question.
- Nominate from 10 to 20 bloggers.
- Notify the bloggers by leaving a comment on their blog.
- Share the link to your best post.
Three things about me:
- I am originally from Alabama. I have a thick southern accent that gets attention. I say things like “y’all” and “two peas in a pod” and other southern things that you just don’t hear in STL.
- I have been out of the country once and that was to go to Ireland. I was there for two weeks visiting my then long distance boyfriend/now husband for two weeks. I can’t wait to go back.
- I have a serial killer fascination. If you do too, please comment with your favorite Netflix and Hulu shows as well as any podcasts you enjoy! 🙂
If you could have one superpower/video game ability what would it be? I would love to be able to stop and rewind time! Like Hiro from Heroes or Max from Life is Strange.
What is your favorite film/TV program and who is your favorite character within it? This is a hard one. If I had to pick just one, it would be Hermione from Harry Potter.
If you could have a dinner party with 5 video game characters who would you invite? Kratos from God of War, Spyro the Dragon, Yuna from Final Fantasy X (and X-2), and Kairi and Aqua from the Kingdom Hearts series.
If you could only eat three foods for the rest of your life what would they be? Chips, fries, and baked potatoes… Wait, those are all potatoes!
If you could forget one game and play it again for the first time, what game would you pick and why? Skyrim. So much replay value. The game is massive and there’s still things I haven’t discovered in it. Definitely one of my top ten favorite games.
- If you could meet any video game/book/TV character, who would it be?
- Name your top 3 favorite websites.
- Which video game/book/TV character would you marry?
- What video game changed your life?
- What’s the background on your phone/computer right now?
Joey @ AlunaRL
Luna @ GamersUnitedGG
Brad @ Cheap Boss Attack
KT @ Wintendo64
Dee @ PrincessDeia
My Best Post(s):
I had a hard time picking just one post so I did two. I’m also only nominating 5 bloggers for this award. I have two awards left to go this month and want to spread the love! Please don’t forget to come back here and comment with the link to your post so I can check out your answers!