In January, A Geeky Gal was nominated for the Blogger Recognition Award by Kamie at Kamie’s Wave Kamie is a really cool blogger who does reviews and chats about anime and Japanese films as well as sharing some more personal posts that anyone can relate to. Thanks again Kamie for the nomination. It’s very much appreciated!
- Thank the blogger that nominated you and give a link to their site.
- Do a post to show your award.
- Give a summary of how your blog started.
- Give two pieces of advice for any new bloggers.
- Select at least 15 other bloggers for this award.
- Let each nominee know you’ve nominated them and give a link to your post.
How A Geeky Gal Came To Be
I’ve mentioned before how my first blog started as sort of an online journal and a place for me to get things off my chest. I realized that most of my writing was about geeky things that I enjoyed with a few personal posts sprinkled in. I knew if I wanted to pursue blogging more actively, I needed to rebrand and find a better host site. Thanks to a blogging friend, I found WordPress, and A Geeky Gal graced the internet with purpose.
Advice For New Bloggers
Here’s some past advice I’ve given, plus a couple more blurbs to help everyone on their writing journey! (I’ve been lucky enough to be nominated four times(!!!) so please enjoy EIGHT pieces of advice from yours truly.)
- Write. No, seriously. Write. That’s literally the best thing you can do when you first start a blog. Write as much as you can and as much as you feel like writing.
- Be active in the blogging community. The community is very welcoming, and we bloggers love to help! Want to know how we did something for our site or how we come up with writing topics? Just ask! We’re friendly around here. Start by joining a Facebook group and just introduce yourself and your blog!
- Participate in collaborations. While this kind of goes with being active in the community, participating in collaborations with other bloggers will not only make you a better writer, but will potentially expand your audience of readers!
- Pick one or two social media platforms to connect with other bloggers/writers and your readers. I had had a Twitter for years before I actually started utilizing it, and it has been an amazing place to connect with people. Instagram has been less so for me, but I still love to use.
- Don’t be afraid to write outside of your box. Too often, bloggers focus so hard on their niche, that they are afraid to step outside of it. I’m speaking from experience when I say to step outside of the box you’ve put yourself in. Your readers will thank you.
- Take a break. If you are tired of writing, burned out, real life needs more of your attention, you want to, whatever reason you may have to take a break, don’t feel guilty about it. You’ll come back stronger and your followers will still be here for you!
- Write it, even if you think it won’t get views/go viral. Too often do we get caught up in stats that we push off writing something we’re passionate about just because we don’t think our readers will love it. I’m learning this with my YouTube channel at the moment. I am trying hard to stay on course with making videos I enjoy versus making videos to get views.
- Revisit old posts. Even if it’s just to update links to current work or go over some grammatical errors, it’s good to see how far you’ve come and how you’ve improved.
I recently became a member of OWLS so I’d like to nominate ten of the members to give them some love and recognition. (See what I did there?) I’m afraid I am not nomiating 15 this go around as I still have more awards to get to.
Kat Sade @ GrimmGirl
Naja B. @ Blerdy Otome
Lita @ Lita Kino Anime Corner
Lyn @ Something About Lyn Lyn
Crimson @ Cute Boys Central
Aria @ The AniManga Spellbook
Dale @ That Baka Blog
Fred @ AuNatural
Irina @ I Drink and Watch Anime
Karandi @ 100WordAnime
Feel free to participate if you like whether you’ve been nominated or not! I apologize if you have been nominated before or don’t participate in these. Just know that I nominated you because I love your blog! Let me know if you decided to answer my questions by linking back to this post so I can see your answers!
Follow A Geeky Gal!