Consider this a welcome back post as well as an apology for being gone. This post has been sitting in my queue for way too long, and I know now is the best time to post it.
Things have been super busy for me. I switched jobs, lost my new job, then got a new-new job… Pretty crazy and stressful.
You know what else is stressful? Being an adult and still not knowing what you’re doing. I put myself through college on an advanced path (6 years condensed into 3 years, yikes!) in a degree I wasn’t sure about, got a “grown-up” job that I loved (that had barely anything to do with my degree but was still in that field-ish) but hated the environment and was working a second job to pay off debt. I stretched myself too thin.
I’m 23, and when I look around at social media, my friends, and my family, I worry that I’m totally on the wrong path. They’re getting married, having babies, starting a career they love. I start to feel like I’m deep in the trenches, still trying to figure out who I am and what I want to do. Who will I be?
To help myself and others going through this, I complied a short list! Because we all love lists, right?!
- Be Yourself – Yeah, yeah. You’ve heard this one before. For real though, be yourself. This is a great way to make friends – you know, other people who don’t know what they’re doing either. It also helps you become more comfortable in your own skin.
- Make Time – …for yourself, for friends, for family, for projects, for hobbies. You have the time; choose how to use it. This could be a great stepping stone for finding out what degree you want or what career path you want to take.
- Assume You’re Good Enough – Lacking confidence is something I deal with daily. I never would have gotten so many of the opportunities I have if I hadn’t faked-it-till-I-made-it. Try it out.
- Set Goals – Start small with going to bed on time and twenty minutes of reading every day, or go big and create a monthly budget with a yearly savings goal for college/vacation/whatever! Setting goals for yourself will make you feel accomplished (and well rested!).
- Say Yes – It’s so much easier to sit at home and mope. Say yes to new adventures (even ones that are 5 minutes from home or ones that take a week)!
No one has all the answers, and honestly, even those that look like they know what they’re doing, don’t have all the answers either. Nothing will ruin your twenties more than thinking you should already have your life together. We all stumble and fall, we just have to choose to get back up. Every time.
Follow A Geeky Gal!